Monday, February 18, 2013

To Teach

I know not everyone will understand this post, but if you are a teacher, I'm sure that you get it.  The field of education is ever-changing.  We are always finding new and better ways of doing things.  There are many expectations (as I'm sure there are in other occupations as well), which create much stress.  Lately I have been feeling this pressure.  I want my children, by my children, I mean my students, to do well in school.  I wish to see them all succeed in school and in life.

Next year, there are many changes which will come about in education.  We are becoming much more data driven, and we are focused on holding people accountable.  I feel like there's more of a focus on explaining why we do the things we do, rather than just doing them.  Sometimes these are good things, I'm sure, but they can be very frustrating, especially when certain things are out of our control.  Without complaining and going into further details, I will simply say that I am anxious.  I am feeling like I cannot possibly be good enough. 

Our school, like others have meetings where we meet to discuss student data, and we talk about what we need to do better.  We talk about where we are lacking and what we need to do about it.  This is very good for our students, but it has been very overwhelming to me lately.  At a recent meeting, a co-worker said to a group of us, "You are doing a great job.  You need to pat yourselves on the back, because you really are."  I thought to myself, "I don't have the strength, will someone please reach out and pat my back for me?"  Why have I been feeling this way lately?   I guess maybe because we all have a need to be encouraged.  And I have been feeling a little discouraged.

To teach is a gift.  It matters.  It's not just the curriculum that matters, it's so much more...  The time we take to care about our students, to create a relationship with them, to let them know we believe in them.  I was thinking, "I know how much I need to be encouraged."  Certainly, if I need it, so do others, so what is holding me back?  Couldn't I encourage someone else?  So here goes... 

Mrs. H - I think you are amazing.  You are one of the most compassionate people I know.  You have no children of your own, yet you are so understanding, patient and kind, and you're a very good Christian.  I think it was around my first year of teaching, when I watched you with an unbelievably difficult child.  In the past, she was unable to control her temper in the classroom.  I remember watching you as you leaned over to eye-level and spoke to her.  You spoke in such a calm, assuring manner. You would expect nothing but the best from her, and that is what she gave you, and I truly admire how all your students work hard to live up to your expectations.

Mrs. L - You are quite a leader.  I am more of a follower, so I truly admire your gift to lead.  You are always looking for new and better ways of doing things, and you're brave enough to share your ideas.

Mrs. B. - I think you are absolutely brilliant.  When I need advice, you're top on my list, as I really respect your opinion.  Maybe if I sit close to you during our lunch break, some of your smarts will rub off on me!

Mrs. S - I love to walk by your room.  You are so creative.  You always have student creations on the wall or hanging from the ceiling.  When I walk into your room, it feels so warm and inviting.

Mrs. S - I know that you are not the typical teacher.  You have had to overcome much adversity in your own life, but I think this gives you such an understanding for students who have to do the same.  You feel for them, and truly understand when they are going through difficult struggles.  Your encouragement and understanding is so beautiful.

Mrs. G - You are such a hard worker.  I cannot believe the amount of time you spend on your students.  You go above and beyond to help them succeed in the classroom.  You have made me better in a million ways.  When I have a tendency to rush through things, you are patient, thinking of things from every angle.  I have learned so much from you.  You're "A++" in my book.

I can say so much more.  But I'll stop right there.  Who can you encourage today?  Your spouse, your child, your co-worker, your friend?

No comments:

Post a Comment