Tuesday, March 12, 2013

I Honor You

These are the words that a priest shared with me in confession this weekend.  Sometimes, when I tell the priest of my sins, I find myself sharing my struggles.  Without going into much detail, I will tell you that I told him that I have been struggling with the duties of my daily life... having six children and a full time job.  And it often makes me feel like I am failing in all of these.  I don't have the time to fully devote to being the "best" teacher, and I don't want my own children to lose out, so I try to force myself to let things go at home (I have a messy car, a messy house, a messy garage, and I'm backlogged on laundry).  Does this drive me crazy?  Yes... but I try to let it go, because my children need me.  And then I am so impatient and critical with those that I love the most because I'm tired and overwhelmed.

What the priest did next, really surprised me.  I wasn't expecting it at all.  He said, "First of all, I honor you, for bringing life into this world.  You are the mother of six children.  I honor you."

No one has ever honored me for being a mother.  I began to cry.  I couldn't stop.  My grandmother once told me that being a mother is the most important job I will ever have in this world.  And I don't want to fail at it.  I can't tell you the number of times I have been laughed at for having so many children, or have been told by complete strangers that I "must not have figured out how that happens".  But to be honored...  I was deeply moved. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Lori - I LOVE this! Moves me every time I read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is so easy as mothers to focus on all that we think should be done instead of what we actually did get done. You are hope and love to children who don't always get that at home. Then you go home and teach your children how to be faith-filled and continue to pour out more love! It was so great that this priest gets it and gave you the pat on the back that as mothers, we don't give ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carmen. Your comment brought tears to my eyes. I am hope. I am love.

      Delete